Job Category: Faculty Non Bargaining
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department: Research | SARAVYC | School of Nursing | Faculty of Applied Science (Elizabeth Saewyc)
Posting End Date: June 28, 2021
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
The School of Nursing at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver campus, invites applications for a part-time (0.75 FTE) position at the rank of Post-Doctoral Fellow. The position is for 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to grant availability and work performance. Salary will be $48,750.00 per year. The position will begin July 2, 2021 or as negotiated with the successful candidate.
The Stigma and Resilience among Vulnerable Youth Centre (SARAVYC) is a team of researchers and community partners advancing research to improve the lives of LGBTQ/2S+ and other marginalized youth. The successful candidate will have a background in quantitative research methods and join a productive multi-disciplinary, mixed-methods research group with strong commitments to applied research that influence policy, practice, and health.
The successful applicant will be expected to collaborate on quantitative data analysis pertaining to the following datasets: Canadian Trans Youth Health Survey, British Columbia Adolescent Health Survey, and the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children survey. In addition, the successful applicant will be involved in conducting data analyses for a healthy relationships intervention study funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
This is a writing intensive position where the successful applicant, under supervision from our Executive and Managing Directors, will lead the drafting of academic papers and community friendly reports about LGBTQ/2S+ youth health outcomes in British Columbia, and more broadly, in Canada. The successful applicant will supervise undergraduate/graduate research assistants and will be responsible for incorporating advisory council input into additional SPSS analysis and writing.
Responsibilities will include:
- Conduct data analysis of large-scale population-based data
- Draft and lead the submission process for academic papers related to LGBTQ/2S+ youth health
- Supervise research assistants and trainees who are assisting with data analysis, writing, and additional research projects
- Contribute to developing grant applications
- Participate in guiding additional projects based on findings from quantitative analysis
- Writing, presentations, website content, and contribute to creation of infographics
- Updating Executive and Managing Directors as well as collaborators at staff meetings, in email correspondence, and in phone conferences
- Will require work on-site at UBC Point Grey Campus and at McCreary Centre Society
- Other activities as required
- Completed a Ph.D. within the last 5 years (or shortly expect to complete) in a relevant discipline (e.g. public health, statistics, sociology, nursing, psychology, sociology, anthropology, education)
- Experience conducting quantitative research, large-scale population survey data preferred
- Experience with SPSS required, comfortable using R, Mplus, SAS, or Stata considered an asset
- Experience with community-engaged projects preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of and/or ability to work with LGTBQ/2S+ communities
- Demonstrated familiarity with LGTBQ2S+ youth topics required
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong writing skills, experience with publishing professional journal articles preferred
Applications, including CV, cover letter and recent published peer reviewed papers (if applicable) must be submitted online at: https://ubc.wd10.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/ubcfacultyjobs/job/UBC-Vancouver-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Fellow_JR2422. Review of applications will begin June 28, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.